Village of Radium Hot Springs
This lovely village where bighorn sheep often roam the roads lies at Kootenay Park’s southern entrance. Radium offers restaurants, shops and accommodations from campgrounds to full-service hotels. Find Radium Hot Springs Visitor Centre (1-888-347-9331) on Main St.
- Radium Hot Springs Mineral Pools (1-800-767-1611) are set in the red cliffs of Sinclair Canyon, just inside the park boundary. Enjoy the huge hot pool, 25-metre cool swimming pool, cold plunge pool and spa.
- Excellent 18-hole golf courses include the Radium and Springs courses (1-800-667-6444); there are also par 3 courses. Local rafting companies offer family floats and whitewater adventures on the Kootenay River, Kicking Horse River and Toby Creek.
- Queen of Peace Station of the Cross sculptures are located behind the Canadian Martyrs Church at 7528 Main St. East, two doors from the Radium Visitor Centre.
- Hiking trails are abundant. Olive Lake (.5 km/.3 mi) boardwalk has bronze bear paw, tree bark and fish displays. Valley View (1.8 km /1.1 mi) is a Douglas fir-lined trail from Redstreak Campground. Old Coach Trail (9 km/5.6 mi) runs from town south to Dry Gulch. Juniper Trail (3.2 km/2 mi) connects the town to the hot springs along swift flowing Sinclair Creek.
- Biking trails over diverse terrain offer cyclists of all abilities a chance to enjoy the scenery. There are trails for cross-country and single-track bikers; tricks and air are found at Radium Pump & Jump Track. Find the Columbia Valley Cycling Society trail map at the Radium Visitor Centre.
- Columbia Wetlands prime wildlife habitat is popular with canoeists and bird watchers.
- Backcountry activities near Radium include horseback riding, fishing, camping, canoeing and kayaking. ATV and dirt bike riders can get information at local recreation sites and Trails BC.
- Whitewater rafting companies operate tours on the Kicking Horse and Kootenay rivers, and Toby Creek. Voyager trips are offered down the Columbia River.
- The Radium Woodcarver (250-347-9208) Rolf Heer operates “the home of a thousand faces.”
- Snowmobiling in the Purcell and Rocky mountains offers epic mountain sledding at Forester Creek trail, Catamount Glacier, Thunderwater and Whirlpool Lakes. The Radium Hot Springs Visitor Centre has trail updates and information.
- Tourism Radium Events
- Horsethief Creek Pub Live Music (Mondays)
- Winter in Motion Festival (Dec 1-Mar 30)
- Bighorn Meadows Resort Vacation condos offering mountain views, fireplaces, kitchens and decks with BBQ. There’s a hot tub and free Wi-Fi.
- Elk Park Ranch Planned community; single-family homesites, duplex villas, estate acreages and private ranches.
- Gables Motel Clean, pet friendly and non-smoking rooms; walk to the Hot Springs pools.
- Kootenay River Runners Raft on the Kicking Horse, Kootenay River, Toby Creek and Columbia River.
- Radium Hot Springs Hot pool, plunge pool, cool pool, spa and interpretive display.
- Tourism Radium Information: lodging, activities, dining and more; vacation packages online.