Panorama Mountain Resort
Go 18 km/11 mi west of Invermere to Panorama Mountain Resort (1-800-663-2929), a 2,847-acre ski area and summer resort with a 1,225-m/4,019-ft vertical rise. There’s a terrain park, ski-in/ski-out lodging, restaurants, T-Bar après ski, Nordic Centre trails, fat tire biking, massage studios and Canada’s largest outdoor on-mountain hot pools. The view of 1,000 Peaks run lives up to its name. Marvel at the sight of iconic Mt. Nelson. New are an equipment Demo Centre, Burton Riglet Park to introduce kids to skiing, animated Discovery Zone kids’ trail and expanded Taynton Bowl glades. Adult lift passes are $88; $99 with Banff/Canmore Daily Shuttle (1-866-416-2034).
- Mile 1 Chairlift rises to ski terrain and in summer operates as sightseeing lift and access for downhill mountain biking trails.
- New Discovery Quad Chairlift accesses easy terrain perfect for novices and families. Tykes and first timers can ride the new ‘Little Ripper’ carpet lift, while the new Discovery Zone offers beginner terrain shaped and sculpted for instruction.
- Banff and Canmore Shuttle one-day package including lift ticket and return transportation is $99 (book 1-866-416-2034).
- Taynton Bowl (former heli-ski terrain), Sun Bowl and 120 trails and are accessed from 10 lifts. Taynton Bowl and the Extreme Dream Zone have newly gladed areas.
- The long Skyline and Rollercoaster cruisers, and Ski Tip Way and Stringer beginner slopes (with new chairlift access) are ski highlights.
- The Nordic Centre has 20 km/12.5 mi of groomed trails.
- Daily heli-skiing packages offered by RK Heliski (1-800-661-6060) at Panorama for intermediate to expert skiers and boarders guide, fat skis, transceiver, hot heli-plex breakfast and picnic lunch. A Banff shuttle is available.
- Greywolf Golf Course is a scenic 18-hole course, and there’s mini golf too. The new Greywolf Golf Course Clubhouse is home to the Cliffhanger Steakhouse.
- Paved hiking and bike trails run alongside Toby Creek.
- Toby Creek is popular for whitewater rafting and kayaking.
- ATV and snowmobile tours run by Toby Creek Adventures (1-888-357-4449) access forest trails, bowls, waterfalls, trapper’s cabin (lunch spot) and silver mining ghost town. Half and full day trips with gear, guides and machines are for beginners, families and advanced riders. Free transport from Banff/Canmore is available.
- Panorama Mountain Resort Events and Daily Events
- Columbia Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Nor-Am Cup (Dec 12-18), Dragon Tail Loppet (Jan 9), Winter Yoga Retreat (Jan 22-24).
- Kootenay River Runners Rafting on the Kicking Horse, Kootenay River, Toby Creek and Columbia River.
- Panorama Mountain Resort Winter | Summer Ski and snowboard in winter; sightseeing, hiking and biking in summer.
- RK Heliski Daily, multiday and private packages; first timers welcome.
- Toby Creek Adventures Snowmobile | ATV High alpine snowmobile and ATV tours.