City of Kimberley
Kimberly is set on the western slope of the exquisite Columbia Valley. This former mining town has recreated itself as a complete year-round destination with history, culture and charming locally-owned establishments. Keep up to date with what’s happening in the city by clicking here.
- Downtown Kimberley’s Platzl is an outdoor pedestrian mall with restaurants and shops, adorned with fountains and Canada’s largest freestanding cuckoo clock. The Visitor Centre is by the Platzl parking area, 1-778-481-1891.
- Browse the Howard Street farmers’ market Thursday evenings and enjoy arts and culture celebrations on the first Saturday of the month between June and September.
- Kimberley’s Underground Railway offers train rides and a tour of the Sullivan Mine. 1-250-427-0022.
- Cominco Gardens has over 45,000 flowers, making it lovely for a stroll or picnic.
- Walk 10 minutes from Marysville to 100 ft St. Mary Falls.
- Swimming, boating and waterskiing are popular at Wasa Lake. Rent a canoe, kayak or SUP from Kootenay Rafting Co. They also offer guided river rafting and SUP tours. 1-250-427-7728.
- The Aquatic Centre has indoor swimming, a lazy river, hot tub and steam room.
- Fish at Premier Lake as well as local rivers for cutthroat, rainbow and bull trout. Guided trips are available. For more information, call 1-800-667-2311.
- Kimberley has outstanding hiking and biking trails. At the 2,000-acre Nature Park, trails crisscross the forested landscape of one of Canada’s largest municipal parks. Popular Northstar Rails to Trails is the former railway between Kimberley and Cranbrook. This paved 25 km / 15 mi multi-use route is part of the Trans-Canada Trail.
- Golfing options include 18- and 9-hole Bootleg Gap Golf Course, 1-877-427-7077; 18-hole Kimberley Golf Course, 1-877-427-4161 and 18-hole Trickle Creek Golf Resort, 1-800-258-7669. Try 18-hole wheelchair accessible putting at Riverside Campground, 1-877-999-2929.
- Fort Steele Heritage Town recreates a late 1800s, gold-mining boom town. Enjoy the historic buildings, steam train rides, livestock demonstrations and Wildhorse Theatre shows. 1-250-417-6000.
- Also nearby are the St Eugene Casino, 1-800-728-2726, and the City of Cranbrook, home to the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel, 1-250-489-3918.
Summer/Fall 2016 Events
- Kimberley Golf Book online or call; golf packages.
- Kimberley Riverside Campground Full service RV and tent sites; pool, store, showers, laundry, internet, putting course.
- Kimberley’s Underground Mining Railway Train ride and mine tour, scenic “Resort Express” train rides.
- Tourism Kimberley Information: golfing, skiing, festivals and adventures; customized vacation packages.