City of Kimberley
Kimberley is set in an exquisite location on the Columbia Valley’s western slope. This former mining town has recreated itself as a complete year-round destination.
- Downtown Kimberley’s Platzl is an outdoor pedestrian mall with restaurants and shops, adorned with fountains and Canada’s largest freestanding cuckoo clock. Kimberley Visitor Centre (1-778-481-1891) is by the Platzl parking area.
- Browse the Howard Street farmers’ market Thursday evenings (June to Sep) and enjoy arts and culture celebrations on the first Saturday of those months.
- Kimberley’s Underground Railway (1-250-427-0022) offers train rides and tour of the Sullivan Mine.
- Cominco Gardens with 45,000 flowers is lovely for a stroll or picnic; it’s free to visit.
- Walk 10 minutes from Marysville to 100-ft St. Mary Falls.
- Swimming, boating and waterskiing are popular at Wasa Lake. Rent a canoe, kayak or SUP board from Kootenay Rafting Co. (1-250-427-7728); they also offer guided river rafting and SUP tours.
- There’s indoor swimming, a lazy river, hot tub and steam room at the Kimberley Aquatic Centre.
- Fishing is prime at Premier Lake, and on local rivers for cutthroat, rainbow and bull trout. Guided trips (1-800-667-2311) are available.
- Kimberley has outstanding hiking and biking trails. At the 2,000-acre Nature Park, trails crisscross the forested landscape of one of Canada’s largest municipal parks. Popular Northstar Rails to Trails (the former railway between Kimberley and Cranbrook) is a paved 25-km (15-mi) multi-use route and part of the Trans-Canada Trail.
- Golfing options include 18- and 9-hole Bootleg Gap Golf Course (1-877-427-7077), 18-hole Kimberley Golf Course (1-877-427-4161) and 18-hole Trickle Creek Golf Resort (1-800-258-7669). Try 18-hole wheelchair accessible putting at Riverside Campground (1-877-999-2929).
- Visit Fort Steele Heritage Town (1-250-417-6000), a recreated late 1800s gold mining boom town with historic buildings, steam train rides, livestock demonstrations and Wildhorse Theatre shows.
- Also nearby are the St Eugene Casino (1-800-728-2726) and the City of Cranbrook, home to the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel (1-250-489-3918).
Summer/Fall 2016 Events
- Kimberley Golf Book online or call; golf packages.
- Kimberley Riverside Campground Full service RV and tent sites; pool, store, showers, laundry, internet, putting course.
- Kimberley’s Underground Mining Railway Train ride and mine tour, scenic “Resort Express” train rides.
- Mountain Spirit Resort Modern suites, balconies, pool and hot tub, BBQ and more.
- Tourism Kimberley Information: golfing, skiing, festivals and adventures; customized vacation packages.