District of Elkford
Sixty-five km/40 mi northeast of Fernie via Hwy 3 east and Hwy 43 north is Elkford, a mountain town founded in 1971 as a home for Fording Coal miners. Its pristine environs include Elk Lakes Provincial Park, Height of the Rockies Wilderness area and world class fishing on the Elk River.
- Elkford Aquatic Complex (1-250-865-4012) has a four-lane saltwater swimming pool with “beach” access for kids, diving boards, slide, whirlpool hot tub and sauna. On-site is the library and a meeting room.
- Elkford Recreation Centre (1-250-865-4010) has an ice arena, curling, meeting rooms, lounge, concession, ball diamonds, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, sports fields, running track and playgrounds.
- The 1,800-sq m/19,375-sq ft Community Conference Centre (1-250-865-4010) houses the Visitor Centre (1-250-865-4015), playschool, banquet hall with performing arts stage and meeting rooms.
- Coal Mine Tours of Elk Valley Coal’s Fording River Mine are offered in summer from the Visitor Centre (1-855-877-9453).
- Extensive trails in and around Elkford are for hiking, mountain biking, ATVing, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing. Forty km/25 mi of interpretive trails include a 2.3-km/1.4-mi hike to Josephine Falls; 2.7-km/1.7-mi Lily Lake Trail past marshes with wetland birds; and Bare Hill Lookout 1-km/.6-mi hike to a panoramic view of Elkford.
- Elkford Municipal Campground (1-250-910-0555) has 77 sites, showers, free firewood and cookhouse. There are also nine forest recreation campsites located in the Elk Valley.
- Fly-fish by drift boat or walk and wade for cutthroat, bull and rainbow trout on The Elk and Fording rivers or alpine lakes (some only accessible by hiking).
- Mountain Meadows Golf Course (1-250-865-7413) is an affordable nine-hole course with restaurant, pro shop and driving range.
- Sulphur Springs are secluded undeveloped hot springs 5 km/3.1 mi south of Elkford. Diving board and picnic site.
- Elk Lakes Provincial Park, 69 km/43 mi north of town, offers hikes, mountain climbing, hunting and fishing (and ice fishing), horse riding and camping.
- Wapiti Ski Hill (1-250-865-2020) has seven runs (two lit at night), a 305-m/1000-ft vertical drop, day lodge, gear rentals and ski school.
- District of Elkford Information: adventures and traveller amenities.
- Elkford Motor Inn Renovated non smoking rooms, conference and banquet facilities, liquor store, pub and restaurant.