District of Elkford
Elkford is located 65 km / 40 mi northeast of Fernie. This mountain town was established in 1971 as a home for Fording Coal miners. Its pristine environs include Elk Lakes Provincial Park, Height of the Rockies Wilderness area and world class fishing on the Elk River.
- The Aquatic Complex has a four-lane saltwater swimming pool with “beach” access for kids and also features diving boards, a slide, whirlpool hot tub and sauna. The library and meeting room are on site. 1-250-865-4012.
- The Recreation Centre has an ice arena, curling, meeting rooms, lounge, concession, ball diamonds, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, sports fields, running track and playgrounds. 1-250-865-4010.
- The 1,800 sq m / 19,375 sq ft Community Conference Centre, 1-250-865-4010, houses the Visitor Centre, 1-250-865-4015, and includes a banquet hall with performing arts stage and meeting rooms.
- Coal Mine Tours of Fording River Mine are offered in the summer. 1-855-877-9453.
- There are extensive trails for hiking, mountain biking, ATVing, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing. 40 km / 25 mi of interpretive trails include a 2.3 km / 1.4 mi hike to Josephine Falls; 2.7 km / 1.7 mi Lily Lake Trail passes marshes with wetland birds; and Bare Hill Lookout is a 1 km / 0.6 mi hike to a panoramic view of Elkford.
- Elkford Municipal Campground has 77 sites as well as showers, free firewood and a cookhouse. There are also 9 forest recreation campsites located in the Elk Valley. 1-250-910-0555.
- Fly-fish for cutthroat, bull and rainbow trout on The Elk and Fording rivers or alpine lakes: some are only accessible by hiking.
- Mountain Meadows Golf Course is an affordable, 9-hole course with restaurant, pro shop and driving range. 1-250-865-7413.
- Sulphur Springs are secluded, undeveloped hot springs located 5 km / 3.1 mi south of Elkford.
- Elk Lakes Provincial Park, 69 km / 43 mi north of town, offers hiking, mountain climbing, hunting, fishing, ice fishing, horse riding and camping.
- Wapiti Ski Hill has seven runs with two lit at night, a 305 m / 1000 ft vertical drop, day lodge, gear rentals and ski school. 1-250-865-2020.
- District of Elkford Information: adventures and traveller amenities.
- Elkford Motor Inn Renovated non smoking rooms, conference and banquet facilities, liquor store, pub and restaurant.