By Meghan Tabor
Revelstoke boasts a world class resort, four heli-skiing companies, three cat skiing operations and a plethora of qualified backcountry guides. Accessing the famed Revelstoke powder on your visit is mandatory—and extremely convenient!
Here are five ways to get you into the white room during your stay:
1. Start with a day at Revelstoke Mountain Resort to test your powder legs on 5,620 feet of vertical bliss (North America’s longest). To get your bearings, take a free mountain tour available through the Revelstoke Outdoors Centre. If you’re lucky, the guides will show you some of their best kept secret spots for you to explore on your own after the tour!
2. Enjoy a day of cat skiing to introduce you to the off-piste paradise. Cat skiing is an easy, and relatively economical, way to let you experience the pristine powder. When planning your trip, note that the demand for cat skiing in Revelstoke is incredibly high, with most operators being (close to) sold out by December.
3. Your trip to Revelstoke wouldn’t be complete without, at least, one day in a helicopter. Revelstoke is the epicentre of heli-skiing, and it wasn’t crowned the “King of Heli” for the scenic flights. Each of the four operators have a huge tenure, so the hardest part will be having to choose your bird.
4. Hire a local guide to show you some of the gems that lie outside the safety of the resort boundaries. A 45-minute scenic drive to Rogers Pass will bring you to some of the best backcountry skiing in the world. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the magnitude of terrain you can access with two feet and a heartbeat.
5. Take a tour with Revelstoke Dogsled Adventures. Despite what your guide tells you, these mutts are the real powder hounds of Revelstoke. Whether you’d like to try mushing or would rather sit tight, these Alaskan Racing Huskies are sure to show you a great time!
Photos courtesy of Tourism Revelstoke.
>> Feeling inspired? For more Alberta and BC Rockies activities, shops, restaurants and entertainment, read our digital magazine.