City of Revelstoke
Nestled between the Selkirk and Monashee ranges, Revelstoke (1-800-487-1493) is 150 km/93 mi west of Golden. The town has rich railway and ski heritage, full visitor amenities, skiing at Revelstoke Mountain Resort and access to Mt. Revelstoke and Glacier national parks. The Visitor Centre (301 Victoria Rd W) is open daily year round.
Highlights – Summer
- Revelstoke Grizzly Plaza has nightly live music in July and August (60+ consecutive nights), and the Revelstoke Farm & Craft Market sets up in the plaza on Saturday morning from April to October.
- The Greenbelt Trails and Mark Kingsbury Pedestrian Bridge offer great bird watching along the Columbia River. Dog walkers, runners and cyclists enjoy these trails.
- The Meadows in the Sky Parkway at Mount Revelstoke National Park winds its way up 26 km to the top and offers the only place in Canada where you can literally summit a mountain within steps of your vehicle.
- Mountain bike Frisby Ridge and Keystone Standard Basin for a high alpine trail experience like no other. The Mount Macpherson trail network features over 50 km of maintained single-track. For downhill mountain biking, the shuttle accessible Boulder Mountain offers everything from steep & technical, to machine built jump lines such as our newest trail, “The Rooster.” Visit the Revelstoke Cycling Association.
- Moses, Begbie and Sutherland waterfalls are all easily accessed by vehicle (and short hikes).
- Apex Whitewater Rafting and Wild Blue Yonder offer rafting tours from scenic and family-friendly, to class three whitewater adventures.
- Dirt bikers will love world class Revy Riders dirt biking tracks and trails.
- Climbing and mountaineering enthusiasts can hire a local guide to show them the ropes at the crags. Visit: www.revelstokerockclimbing.com
- Revelstoke Dam Visitor Centre and Tours is open May-Sept.
- Revelstoke Golf Club (1-250-837-4276) 18-hole, par 72 – 6,537 yard championship layout provides an excellent challenge and is conveniently located just minutes off the Trans-Canada highway, along the banks of the Columbia River.
- SkyTrek Adventure Park, The Enchanted Forest, Crazy Creek, and Three Valley Gap historic ghost town are a short trip out of town on Hwy 1 west and offer adventures to everyone at any age!
- Stand-up paddleboarding, canoe or kayak touring on Lake Revelstoke. For info click here.
- Enjoy sightseeing with gondola rides at Revelstoke Mountain Resort. Try the new Pipe Mountain Coaster – which is sure to offer thrills as you ride down 1.4km of twists and turns!
- Downtown Revelstoke: The picturesque downtown has retained many of its original early 20th century business buildings and hundreds of its heritage homes. Pick up a Walking Tour Map at the Visitor Centre and explore Revelstoke’s downtown. There’s also a Heritage Trail featuring interpretive panels and scenic views, near Centennial Park.
Highlights – Winter
- Heli and cat skiing companies that operate right in town offer phenomenal backcountry experiences.
- Alpine skiing at Revelstoke Mountain Resort boasts North America’s highest vertical rise (5,620 ft/1,713 m) with 3,000+ acres of open fall lines, alpine bowls and gladed tree skiing. Featuring one high-speed gondola and two chairlifts, Turtle Creek Tube Park, beginners ski areas, terrain park, cat and heli-skiing, and on-site lodging.
- Revelstoke Snowmobiling Club grooms trails on Boulder Mountain and Frisby Ridge, and maintains day-use warm-up cabins for world class snowmobiling.
- Cross-country skiing Mount Macpherson Nordic Trails are 25 km of groomed classic and skate routes; 5 km are lit for night skiing.
Highlights – Year Round
- Revelstoke Museum & Archives – see the ski history exhibit and Land of Thundering Snow Exhibit. Visit the Railway Museum, and location of The Last Spike at Craigellachie.
- The historic Roxy Theatre plays the latest films and hosts events like comedy shows and outdoor adventure film nights.
- Scenic heli-tours of Mt. Begbie go year-round with Glacier Helicopters.
- Revelstoke Paragliding provides a bird’s eye view of Revelstoke from the best seat in the house. The Revelstoke Outdoors Centre also offers snowshoeing and dogsledding tours throughout the winter months.
- Revelstoke Aquatic Centre features a 25m pool, leisure pool with kids zone, lazy river, wild waterslide, hot tub, sauna and steam room.
- Revelstoke Forum hosts skating and drop-in shinny. Curl at Revelstoke Curling Club (1-250-837-4356), and bowl at The Cabin. There are facilities for basketball, soccer, badminton and volleyball in town.
Revelstoke Forum offers skating and drop-in shinny. There’s basketball, soccer, badminton and volleyball at locations around town; curling at Revelstoke Curling Club (1-250-837-4356) and bowling at The Cabin (1-250-837-2144).
Above images by Bruno Long and Steve Shannon (snowboarder).