City of Fernie
Fernie (1-877-933-7643) is the largest and oldest community in the Elk Valley, founded in 1898 as hub for mining and forestry. Its historic downtown is a treasure of 100-year-old brick and stone architecture like the grand 1909 courthouse; take a self-guided walking tour (guided tours run occasionally). Set in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, wilderness adventure begins at the city’s edge. Fernie visitor information centres are at the museum (1-250-423-7016) and on Hwy 3 northeast of town (1-250-423-6868).
Highlights – Summer
- The Elk River’s sparkling waters offer fly-fishing, float trips and wild whitewater rafting.
- You can also find water (and sand hazards) at Fernie Golf & Country Club (1-250-423-7773).
- Hiking trails include an easy two-hour waterfall stroll and the iconic full day Heiko’s Trail that crosses mountain passes.
- Mountain biking opportunities are abundant; access over 100 trails, and bike and dirt jump parks.
- At Fernie Alpine Resort (1-800-258-7669), the Timber Express Chairlift travels up the mountain to spectacular Elk Valley views, hiking trails, and the treetop Aerial Park playground with a rippin’ zipline. From the top, biking options include cross-country, downhill, single track and dual slalom trails; bike rentals are offered.
Highlights – Winter
- Public skating and shinny hockey is offered at Fernie Memorial Arena (1-250-423-4466 ext 0).
- Snowshoeing and snowmobiling tours are offered.
- For skiing, check out the Fernie Alpine Resort.
Highlights – Year-Round
- Clawhammer Letterpress & Gallery (1-778-519-5010) is a working downtown Fernie letterpress studio and retail fine art gallery that employs century-old equipment for design and printing.
- Fernie’s Heritage Buildings & Walking Tour (1-250-423-7016) showcases the courthouse, city hall, heritage library, and historic downtown.
- Fernie Brewing Company (1-250-423-7797) offers tours of their microbrewery with mill room, mash tun, brew kettle and fermentation tanks. Learn about the brewing process, and taste the finished product.
- Beanpod Artisan Chocolate (1-778-519-5008) is one of the few places in the world where you can watch as chocolate is made from rare fine flavoured cacao beans on century-old machines.
- Fernie Museum (1-250-423-7016) interprets the city’s hardships and achievements over a century. The exhibit This Is Our Fernie explores events that have shaped Fernie, including the legend of a curse, fires that destroyed the town and mining disasters that took fathers and sons.
Above image (town) by Henri Georgi.
Summer/Fall 2016 Events
- Tourism Fernie Events
- City of Fernie Events Calendar
- City of Fernie Events List
- City of Fernie Special Events
- Fernie Chamber of Commerce Events Calendar
- Dairy Queen Burgers, wraps, salads, Orange Julius and ice cream treats.
- Elk Valley Pizza Shoppe “Fernie’s best pizza” with gluten-free options; lasagna, salads, wings and more; delivery.
- Fernie Stanford Resort Rooms, suites, chalets, indoor pool, waterslide, sauna, fitness, outdoor hot tubs.
- Fernie Super 8 Clean modern rooms with outdoor hot tub, free Wi-Fi and Continental breakfast.
- Indian Springs Ranch Home sites, golf course with pub, and RV lots near Eureka, Montana.
- Island Lake Lodge 7000 acres of mountain wilderness, fine dining and spa.
- Park Place Lodge Distinctive lodging and dining in the heart of Fernie.
- Red Tree Lodge Queen rooms, and luxury king suite, hot tub, pool, sauna, games room, restaurant; free Wi-Fi and breakfast snack.
- Travelodge Three Sisters 1 and 2 bedroom suites and kitchen units, indoor pool, sauna, hot tub and free Wi-Fi.
- Tourism Fernie Information: lodging, events and activities; book lodging and vacation packages.