City of Fernie
Fernie is the largest and oldest community in the Elk Valley. It was founded in 1898 as hub for mining and forestry. Today, its historic downtown is a treasure of 100-year-old brick and stone architecture. Experience the historic downtown with a self-guided walking tour of the grand courthouse, est 1909. Set in the heart of the beautiful Canadian Rockies, wilderness adventure begins at the city’s edge. Visitor Information Centres are located at the museum, 1-250-423-7016, and on Hwy 3, northeast of town, 1-250-423-6868. To contact Fernie Tourism, call 1-877-933-7643.
Highlights – Summer
- The Elk River’s sparkling waters offer opportunities for fly-fishing, float trips and wild whitewater rafting.
- You can find water and sand hazards at Fernie Golf & Country Club, 1-250-423-7773.
- Hiking trails include an easy two-hour waterfall stroll and the iconic full day Heiko’s Trail that crosses mountain passes.
- Mountain biking opportunities are abundant! Easily access over 100 trails, and bike and dirt jump parks.
- At Fernie Alpine Resort, the Timber Express Chairlift travels up the mountain to spectacular Elk Valley views, hiking trails, and the treetop Aerial Park playground with a rippin’ zipline. From the top, biking options include cross-country, downhill, single track and dual slalom trails. Bike can be rented onsite. 1-800-258-7669.
Highlights – Winter
- Public skating and shinny hockey is offered at the Memorial Arena, 1-250-423-4466 ext 0.
- Snowshoeing and snowmobiling tours are available.
- For skiing, check out the Fernie Alpine Resort.
Highlights – Year-Round
- Clawhammer Letterpress & Gallery is a working letterpress studio and retail fine art gallery that employs century-old equipment for design and printing. Located downtown, 1-778-519-5010.
- Heritage Buildings & Walking Tour showcases the courthouse, city hall, heritage library and historic downtown. Call the Visitor Centre at the museum for more information about this self-guided tour, 1-250-423-7016.
- Fernie Brewing Company offers tours of their microbrewery with mill room, mash tun, brew kettle and fermentation tanks. Learn about the brewing process and sample the finished product. 1-250-423-7797.
- Beanpod Artisan Chocolate is one of the few places in the world where you can watch as chocolate is made from rare, fine flavoured cacao beans on century-old machines. 1-778-519-5008.
- Fernie Museum interprets the city’s hardships and achievements over the past century. The exhibit This Is Our Fernie explores events that have shaped the city, including the legend of a curse, fires that destroyed the town and mining disasters that took fathers and sons. 1-250-423-7016.
Above image of the town by Henri Georgi.
Summer/Fall 2016 Events
- Dairy Queen Burgers, wraps, salads, Orange Julius and ice cream treats.
- Elk Valley Pizza Shoppe “Fernie’s best pizza” with gluten-free options; lasagna, salads, wings and more; delivery.
- Fernie Super 8 Clean modern rooms with outdoor hot tub, free Wi-Fi and Continental breakfast.
- Indian Springs Ranch Home sites, golf course with pub, and RV lots near Eureka, Montana.
- Park Place Lodge Distinctive lodging and dining in the heart of Fernie.
- Red Tree Lodge Queen rooms, and luxury king suite, hot tub, pool, sauna, games room, restaurant; free Wi-Fi and breakfast snack.
- Travelodge Three Sisters 1 and 2 bedroom suites and kitchen units, indoor pool, sauna, hot tub and free Wi-Fi.
- Tourism Fernie Information: lodging, events and activities; book lodging and vacation packages.