City of Cranbrook
The Kootenay Rockies’ largest city, Cranbrook (1-800-728-2726) is 30 km/19 mi south of Kimberley and was founded over a century ago following the arrival of the Crowsnest Railway.
- St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino features an 18-hole course (1-877-417-3133) and the only casino in the Kootenays. Its history as a residential school for Aboriginal children is honoured at the resort’s Interpretive Centre with Ktunaxa Nation stories, artifacts and handcrafts.
- Fort Steele Heritage Town (1-250-426-7352) recreates pioneer life as it was during the late 1800s gold rush, railway and lumbering days. See the Wild Horse Theatre, steam train and horse drawn carriage rides, and blacksmith and gold panning demonstrations.
- The Cranbrook History Centre – Featuring the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel (1-250-489-3918) showcases restored historic train cars and the beautiful 1906 Royal Alexandra Hall.
- Kootenay Trout Hatchery (1-250-429-3214) has exhibits and a kids’ fishing pond and moat with trophy-size trout. Open year-round, guided tours plus activities run May to Aug.
- Paved Cycling routes (over 40 km) include the North Star Trail that connects Cranbrook and Kimberley along a former rail line.
- Outdoor Activities in the area include hiking, boating, hunting, cycling, fishing, skiing and snowshoeing.
- There is free skating and hockey (arena 1-250-489-0040).
Above image (barn) courtesy of Asymetric/Jason Van Bruggen.
- Almo Court Motel Renovated rooms, suites and kitchenette units.
- Canadian Tire Cranbrook Camping, sport and beach supplies, hardware, pet supplies and automotive parts/service.
- Cranbrook and District Chamber of Commerce Year round and Summer Information: lodging, attractions, activities, events, dining and shopping.
- Cranbrook History Centre Cranbrook Museum, Cranbrook Archives, Canadian Museum of Rail Travel and Royal Alexandra Hall.
- Elizabeth Lake Lodge Luxury lodging with kitchens, bird sanctuary views and mini golf course.
- Hot Shots Café Fresh food: sandwiches, soups, salads, curries and satays; gluten-free and vegan choices.
- Kootenay Country Inn Clean, comfortable and modestly priced; kitchenettes and sauna; free breakfast and long distance.
- Model “A” Inn Spacious rooms, suites, kitchenettes, Jacuzzi, free Continental breakfast and Wi-Fi.
- Nomad Motel Comfortable, quiet and clean; kitchen suites; pool (summer); free Continental breakfast.
- Safeway Full service grocery store; 8 am to 11 pm daily.
- Shadow Mountain World Class Golf Course Championship course with stunning scenery and dramatic elevation changes.
- Spice Hut East Indian Cuisine Lunch and dinner; vegan and gluten-free options.
- Super 8 Cranbrook Indoor hot tub, pool and waterslide; free Continental breakfast and internet.
- Ultimate West Flyfishing Orvis endorsed professional guides and fly shop; lodging.
- Western Financial Place Swimming, wave and tot pools, waterslide, sauna, steam rooms, hot tub, squash, curling and ice arena, fitness; hockey games, concerts and events.
- Wildstone Golf Course ‘Black Knight Course’; created by Gary Player Design.